|This page may contain spoilers.|
Until the age of 10, Raphtalia lived in a small coastal village outside of Melromarc, where everyone lived in harmony until the first wave of calamity attacked. During the attack of the first wave, Raphtalia and her parents fled their home, but considering they had only the sea to provide them safety Raphtalia's parents made the ultimate sacrifice. Her parents pushed her off a nearby cliff as the wave approached them, and she watched as her parents were engulfed by it. Raphtalia would survive the fall, and went back to find her parents, but they were no longer and shortly after doing so a group of slave traders showed up in her village, where she was captured and sold to several different people before ending up in a slave dealers tent in Melromarc. Raphtalia was at the slave traders for a few months until she was purchased by Iwatani Naofumi where her life would be changed forever.
Raphtalia is the first cursed slave of Iwatani Naofumi. She was terrified of her new master, but slowly began to develop trust and eventually romantic feelings for him. She is 10 years old but she can pass for her early 20s as Demi-humans age as they level. She generally uses a sword and illusion (Light and Dark) magic, but began to be able to use a wider variety of magic types after her Class Up. She was able to study magic under the tutelage of the Melromarc's Court Magician and later went with Granny to study and become a master of Hengen Musou. Raphtalia is the most important person to Naofumi and is considered his right hand. She is from a subspecies of Tanuki with a unique lineage that comes from a certain hidden village within a secluded country in the east, however she was born in a town which is now Rock Valley when her parents ran away from the village to elope. When she was growing up, Sadina acted as her family's guardian, but was away when the first wave appeared and destroyed the village she was born in.
Initially Raphtalia is very timid, sickly, and fearful as a result of her status as a slave as well as the destruction of her village. After the encounter with the two-headed dog monster she overcomes her trauma from her parents death at the hands of the Cerberus, and acknowledges Naofumi as a hero in her own mind. The current Raphtalia is focused on efficiency, in both combat, training, and money expenditures, she is extremely devoted to Naofumi, and harbors feelings for him which the other party remains oblivious to.
Raphtalia has undergone some significant changes throughout her adventure. When Raphtalia is first introduced, she has long, unmanaged hair and a dirty cloth gown. After being purchased by Naofumi, he cut her hair to an acceptable length, gave her a bath, and bought her a much more suitable set of cloths to go adventure in. As a Tanuki demi-human, Raphtalia is shown to have fluffy dog like ears, and averagely sized bushy tail. After several weeks of traveling with Naofumi, Raphtalia's body inexplicably changes and she now gives of the appearance of a teenager or young adult. In her adult form, Raphtalia begins to wear clothing much for fitting for a warrior which consists of a hide breastplate,skirt, lace up boots and a pair of gloves. Raphtalia also switched from a small knife to a full sized sword during this time.
Born in a fishing village, Raphtalia spent part of her childhood with her parents until the monsters from the wave came and destroyed her village, only surviving by her parents sacrificing themselves. Alone and sickly she was picked up by a slave merchant and put up for sale in the capital of Melromarc.
- 「Hide ・Mirage」"description here" c68
- 「Al Hide Mirage」"description here" c163
- 「Al Anti-Shining」"description here" c164
- 「All Trick Mirage」Reverses the caster's and the opponent's appearance. c249
- 「Illusion Sword」is a special skill used to hide Raphtalia.
- 「Ying Yang Blade」A technique where she fires the energy released by a defeated enemy and converts it into an attack.
- 「Eight Trigrams Heaven’s Sword」"description here" c118
- Illusionary Blade"description here" c118
Later on in her adventures Raphtalia learned the Hengen Musou style of fighting, and since that point, has becoming considerably more powerful.
- 「Circle」The wielder twirls his or her rapier in a full circle, and the blade makes a high shriek as it passes through the air. All projectiles fired at the wielder are mowed down.
- 「First Stroke」"description here" c303
- Bagua Karma Blade
- 「Bagua Karma Blade Second Stroke」"description here" c302
- 「Third Stroke」"description here" c303
Seven Star Hammer Skills
- Thor Hammer"description here"
The Rising of the Shield Hero
Devil of Shield Arc
Naofumi decided to use a slave as his weapon for fighting monsters, so he chose Raphtalia, a demi-human who was weak and ill and initially only armed with a kitchen knife. Under the effect of rage he raised her, helping her to grow and overcome her trauma but viewed her simply as a little slave. After the second wave, Motoyasu decided to fight with Naofumi to acquire Raphtalia and caused the removal of slavery mark, but Raphtalia chose to stay with Naofumi, not because she was his slave but because she was his friend. This broke the first effect of the rage curse in Naofumi. Now they both view themself as respective savior. Raphtalia later decided to regain the slavery mark as her party symbol.
Cal Mira Island Arc
Spirit Turtle Arc
Slave Supremacy Arc
World's End Arc
Towards the Legend Arc
The Christmas of Shield Hero
The Valentine of Shield Hero
The White Day of Shield Hero
The Reset of The Spear Hero Gaiden
Loop 1 to 3 - Tutorial Arc
Loop 4 - Silt Welt Arc
Loop 5 - Melromarc Arc
Loop 6 - Foburei Arc
- Iwatani Naofumi: Though she did not originally care much for Naofumi, their relationship have become quite close, Naofumi is constantly thinking of what would make Raphtalia happy and though Naofumi considers himself a father figure to Raphtalia, she has developed romantic feelings for him and is constantly trying to get him to notice those feelings. Even though Raphtalia always seems fed up with his admittedly evil acts, but she had not lost her respect for him.
- Kitamura Motoyasu: Though she doesn't hate Motoyasu quite as much as Firo does, she doesn't really care for him either. They were once forced to partner together as a training exercise and by the end of it, Raphtalia had lost a fair amount of respect for him.
- Firo: Though there hasn't been any extended dialogue between Raphtalia and Firo, she does still care about Firo as sort of a younger sister and always looks out for her.
- Melty Melromarc
- Sadina: Raphtalia sees Sadina as a reliable person.
- Elhart: Raphtalia considers Elhart a very kind man and a bit of a mentor, as he was the first person to instruct her on proper sword usage.